Sunday, February 21, 2010

When I was young, I never read Pippi Longstocking. I only remember watching the movies and thinking how cool it was to have a horse on your front porch. Also, I thought about how Pippi was never afraid of anything; if someone wanted to come into her house she would make a game out of it. In my mind she was a young fearless girl who did not ever think of danger.

On Thursday, my group talked about not having parents and how that affects the way Pippi behaves. I could not image growing up without parents who would support or help me through rough times. They have been always here for me no matter what happens. Also the major thing my parents wanted for me was to be happy. Not only did Pippi lack the love and attention a child needs from her parents, but also nobody ever taught Pippi right from wrong. Growing up my parents were very strict with me about manners, and how to act in front of adults. In Pippi we see a strong girl who is able to do anything she sets her mind to. She cleans the house, cooks for herself, and is able to take care of two animals. I never realized this when I was younger watching the movies what unusual capabilities Pippi had. Now as an adult I am much more aware of Pippi’s exceptional disposition.  I always thought how neat it would be to just be alone with animals and do what ever I wanted that day. As I read the book I realized that Pippi would not be the fun character she is today without her mother and father, however she needed Tommy and Annika to offset her from a normal child.

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! I had the same thoughts as you when reading and watching Pippi as a child. I thought it would be amazing to live like her, without any rules and with a horse and monkey. Reflecting back, I realized how much I needed and loved the attention my parents gave to me and my sister and how much I needed the rules they set for both of us. Pippi is able to find a type of family in Tommy and Annika, but she needs the love of a parent figure to lead a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I saw the movie when I was younger and did promptly attempt to bring my horse onto the front porch. Needless to say I was grounded for quite a while for getting manure all over Mom's "clean front porch". I think it's interesting how different views warrant different responses. Stephanie, you mention that your parents raised you very strictly and you thought about possibly living like Pippi. On the contrary my parents gave me a single rule when I was younger, "don't talk to strangers". Anything else was fair game. I believe that if I would have actually read Pippi as a young girl I would have connected more with her then than now. Currently I find her annoying, probably because I have grown up. But I still find the urge to bring my horse on the front porch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your comments about the unusual capabilities Pippi shows in terms of cooking, cleaning, and taking care of herself. I remember having the same reaction to Danny DeVito's film version of Matilda (starring, I think, Maura Wilson?). There's a scene where Rhea Perlman is leaving little 4-year-old Matilda alone in the house, calling over her shoulder, "There's soup in the microwave if you get hungry!" Matilda opens the microwave, throws out the soup, and proceeds to mix flour and eggs and milk for pancakes. I was always fascinated by her resilience and admired her grown-up capabilities. She seemed much more grown-up than her parents.I think that's one of the things I admired about Pippi when I was a child, too, although I admit she seems much less admirable to me reading her as an adult.

    ReplyDelete