Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Greaveyard Book

In class today we discussed The Graveyard Book being accepted into the Newbery tradition.  This was a tricky question to me because part of me just wanted to say no but then the other part would say yes.

            The Graveyard Book was a very scary and dark story and because of this it did not seem to meet the standards of the Newberry tradition.  I don’t think this would be very interesting to young children. I know, as a child, if I had read the first couple of pages I would have probably had nightmares. Also, at the end of the novel, I felt like I did not get much from the book. To contrast, in the stories Charlottes Web, Holes, and Number the Stars; I felt like there were strong moral implications underlining their basic plot. In The Graveyard Book I did not have a feeling of accomplishment and knowledge towards the end of the novel. Also there were certain challenges to this novel, which is not like the other challenges in the Newbery’s we have read. The major challenge was that it did not go smoothly throughout because Mr. McKean wrote it first as a short story.  Second, this book did not have a moral message that was clear to the reader. I just think that he was so close to making a moral statement between the living and the dead, but instead he was not able to do it. He was not able to make the statement that could have made the novel better and more engaging.

A reason that I support the decision to make this book into a Newbery was because it followed the themes of death and being an outcast. At some point in everyone’s lives, everyone feels alone and unwelcome. When reading this book that has that same outcast character we feel that we are no more along. By reading this book and witnessing the experiences of the outcast character the reader has someone to relate too and no longer feels ostracized. At first we are creped out about this boy who does not have a family and now is called Nobody. How more of an outcast could this boy be? He is stuck between to worlds, one is with the dead and the other the living, but he does not ever belong to one group. In this way the novel could fit into the Newbery tradition because it follows the general themes of being an outcast that are often present in other Newberry award winning books.

7 comments:

  1. I could definitely see why this book could give a kid nightmares! However, I grew up enjoying the classic Nightmare Before Christmas among other Tim Burton productions, such as Beetlejuice. So maybe it's very dependent on what a child is exposed to as to whether or not this book would be of interest, but to me, it was enjoyable! I can really see a link between Gaiman and Tim Burton, by the way. They have that same dark, child-like vision.

    I also think authors that come up with the craziest ideas, including the most unthinkable settings for their characters to live in like The Graveyard Book, are the most memorable. That's why I was able to enjoy this book, because of its non-conformity to the typical Newberry classics. I think this book can be noted for its approach to showing us how both death and life should be valued. As living humans, we are always rushing through life, constantly changing but the dead stay the same forever as ghosts; there is a lifetime in death and we should take our time here on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my little brother reads books that are scarier than this - maybe this is a book that would be more appealing to boys?
    i definitely think that whether an individual will like this book or not depends on their personal preferance for literature in general though... I gathered that from our Harry Potter discussions in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is a different book but I really enjoyed it. I agree with Lauren that maybe this is moer of a boys book but I loved scary books when I was little. I like that we were told it models the Jungle Book because the ending makes way more sense. Yes it talks about loniness and being an outsider but it also give you this idea that he did have a family, these powers and friends he was leaving behind.
    I find this book very intresting and while I can pinpoint the exact message, I can see there is definately one there

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you very directly identified what parts of the text did not work for you and why. I think that being able to clearly discuss what parts within a text don't work for you is the start to really grappling with a text and demonstrates your willingness to learn and grow as well. Also, your comparison with the other books within the Newbery category helps you understand what types of books resonate better with you as a reader. Since The Graveyard Book does not contain a lot of the same elements as other books that you enjoy, you are able to best identify why you did not like the book. On the same note, recognizing the truths and strengths within the book are deserving of credit for moral lessons and your insight into further readings. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have made some interesting points. The Graveyard Book maybe didn't have strong moral implications, but I think it did provide another perspective on death for children readers. Necessarily better? Who knows, but at least it's another Option for children to incorporate into their outlook on life...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it interesting that you would have had nightmares if you read this book as a child. I had nightmares from watching The Princess Bride, I couldn't tell you why, but Wesley scared me to death. Yet I could watch The Nightmare Before Christmas with no problem. I do believe that for this book to be considered a Newbery Award Winner though, it is slightly confusing. I found it hard to find what the true message Gaiman was trying to get out to his readers. It is somewhat apparent but I think he becomes slightly lost in the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I think this book could give children nightmares, but could also provide some clarity with death. Ged is a very relatable character and I think all can relate to this feelings of being an outcast.

    ReplyDelete